Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Expectations in Blogging Discourse

Blogging expectations are similar to print discourse expectations (or at least this is what I think). Give credit where credit is due by attributing where you discovered something. If you do link to another blog or article on the web, provide some commentary as to why you are linking your audience to them, but not too much commentary that it takes away from the link. When information is inaccurate, make corrections. And of course, keep your audience in mind. I think audience is the number one key in blogging. Blog communities act as a form of enforcement. They will let the blogger in question and the rest of the community know when something isn't right. They hold themselves to high expectations.

 I keep a more personal blog with just a few readers who comment on a regular basis (my own commentariat) and I tend to forget that anyone in the world can read it. Whether I am writing about an awesome burrito I had or discussing Cake Wreckers, people are clicking in. I might be a bad blogger because I don't think in global terms (although I think I might start now).

Janice made the comment on her blog that blogging isn't really an arbitrary decision anymore. And she's right. It's out there for everyone forever.

5 comments:

janice said...

Hi Meg,

I must agree with you. Audience Analysis seems to be one of the key components in blogging.

In addition, it appears that an awarenesss of the genre itself -blogging is key to being an effective Blogger. In some ways reading about blogging conventions reminded me of some of our discussions in 510. Bloggers, similar to those who are attempting to define Composition as a field, are attempting to define who they are and why they are who they are.

Anonymous said...

do you think it's absolutely necessary to think in larger terms when contemplating your blog audience?? although, some random stranger may read your blog, is it necessary to consider said random stranger when blogging?? how important is it when a blog is essentially a personal commentary with room for conversation?

Murph said...

I must plug a piece I helped with about blogs and grad school:

http://www.bgsu.edu/cconline/colbyetal/colbyetal.htm

happy blogging ya'll!

Jenny said...

I really like the comparison you make to conventions in print discourse, even though the venue is different. In many ways, the issues you point to (attributing sources, providing commentary, being accurate, attention to audience) are all key to what we teach in writing classes. It's interesting that so many people attend to these conventions whether consciously or not.

NewMexicoJen said...

First, how did you not make me aware of Cake Wreckers sooner? Love it. Feeds my Ace of Cakes addiction.

I disagree that you are a bad blogger. I don't know that all blogs have to serve a wider, holier purpose than just meeting the needs of the blogger that creates it. Besides, you are writing to the audience you care most about (friends and family) and other audience members are just sort of along for the ride. That's Ok, especially when you think of how little control we really have over any text that we construct. They all tend to live beyond us as writers - to find audiences and meanings we never imagined or intended.