Monday, September 15, 2008

Blogging Influencing Communication and Community

I think blogging has influenced communication and community in one way because it provides an outlet for thinking outside the box, a way to work through ideas. Henry Farrell says that blogging provides a forum to really work through ideas and that comments about that can carry through other blogs and provide more insight. This example relates to academics, but I think this carries over to anyone. 

Another way blogging influences communication in that readers and writers might feel more freedom to write exactly what they think. They are still kind of protected by not having face-to-face interaction.

I also think that cross-genre blogs, like Culture Cat, help aid communication and community in blogging. At Culture Cat, readers see different sides to her. Those who might not care as much about her child, may really find her research interesting or find more of that in her blog roll. The same for those who like reading about the motherhood aspect and not care so much about the academia portion. It brings together an even wider audience. 

4 comments:

NewMexicoJen said...

Do you think blogging, for people like C. Ratcliff, also allows them to be more "real" - a more complete person? It seems a freeing thing about blogging is the ability not to have to compartmentalize our lives completely, and yet I guess the existence of readers makes most of us always aware of that at some level. I liked what the Miller and Shepherd piece said about the "hope for connection" and the "enjoyment of stealth" going hand-in-hand. Is there a thrill in writing for ourselves and those we know while always wondering who else might be reading?

Murph said...

Stealth is an interesting word. My students call it "creeping" which is when you tell someone you're reading, like with a comment (anonymous or not) and "stalking" is when you don't tell.

I think I seem more real to my students though I don't advertise my blog at all. I'm def a different person here than I am on Facebook.

I think of my blog audience like it's my imaginary friend who can't visit me except virtually and is absolutely interested in the odd things I have to say.

janice said...

Hi Meg,

I liked the fact that you followed the conventions and used links.

Like you I think Culture Cat is a good example of how blogging has faciliated a mix of the professional and personal life. I think this is a very important aspect of blogging and how it influences communication.

Anonymous said...

so may be one of the defining characteristics of a blog is that it doesn't have to be genre-specific. for instance, my own blog for this class is supposed to be answering the prompts given to us by the jens, but now I've made it a little more personal by forcing you guys to read about all the time i spend online on fashion-related website. i wasn't really impressed with CultureCat (i have mixed feelings about children in general and i tend to lose interest when the topic of conversation is nipples and cloth diapers, so much do i lose interest when certain subjects are covered that i won't even look for things that may be relevant to what i am interested in), i prefer TuckerMax for a quality blog.