Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A New Semester, Some More Challenges

I just started my third semester and it is off to an exciting start. I am beginning a study about freshmen communication technology knowledge/use in a border institution (where I am a student and teacher). I am teaching a new class online (the rhetoric of going green - I've probably mentioned that 100 times already). I am also preparing for my comprehensive exam. I have chosen my topics (in a nutshell):

  • Key theories in computers and writing, in which I discuss my own pedagogical approach.

  • The importance of multiliteracies in the technical communication field

  • Defining culture and the problems that lie with defining such things.

My third question deals with my specialized area, i.e. my dissertation. So I think I will have a question like this:

  • Trace the rhetoric of memorial and commemoration from classical rhetoric through modern rhetorical theory.
Read, read, read. Notes, notes, notes. This will be the majority of my life for a while. I really want to take my comps in March. Most people think this is a quick turnaround, but doable. I just don't want to keep putting it off.

But right now I feel directionless. Not sure where to start reading. I had a dream last night where I saw all the books I need to read and it was a little scary. Yesterday, I was told, that if I wanted to get my comps done in a year, I need to read four sources a week. I am giving myself seven months. I am not a math person, but that's more than four sources a week. And since Thursday, I've finished only one - and it wasn't even a primary text I plan on using.

I am just going to keep remembering what a professor said: this is the only time in my life that I will be able to just read and soak in knowledge.

Ahhhhh...

My intent, if that's ok with all of my readers (I don't actually know who I am posing this question to), I am going to use this space as a reading journal. Keep account of all I've read and perhaps jot some notes.

Also, if any reader (and once again, I am not actually sure I have any) has any great suggestions of sources as I get going here, please, please, please share.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Can't remember if you took history of rhetoric or not, but if you didn't, Pericles' funeral oration is a good memorial thing to talk about. Gettysburg address, too, maybe?

Meg said...

The Gettysburg address might be a good idea...and didn't know about Pericles', but will look that up. Sweet! Thanks!